Wednesday, June 15, 2011

"Son of Mr Green Jeans" "Me Talk Pretty One Day" "Contributor's Note"

These essays were a little different from the ones we read in the past assignments. "Son of Mr Green Jeans" was the most uniquely written and easily became one of my favorites. Though it is written as a personal essay, it didn't load me down with facts that made me feel like I was in a marine biology lecture like Human Road did. Organizing the information alphabetically was also a very creative idea. It helped to make the essay interesting. Though research is just as present here as it is in other personal essays the use of the alphabet made me want to read more to see how he was going to deliver his point and keep the essay fluid.
Contributor's Note pissed me off. Plain and simple. I was so confused by all the names and nicknames, I was unable to enjoy it or understand it. I really only finished reading it because it was an assignment. The fact that Michael Martone probably wrote this essay was the show the evolution he went through growing up and how he had some nickname to accompany each period in his life yet when he finally got married, he no did not know who he wanted to be. Then again, this may be the furthest thing from what Martone was hoping to convey in this essay but all the names (especially in the beginning with all the fathers and grandfathers) confused me. I spent so much time trying to distinguish one person from another on page one, by page two I was drained. Maybe it was a bad idea on my part to read this one after "Mr Green Jeans". Maybe part of the reason I didn't like it is because i was disappointed in it.
"Me Talk Pretty One Day" was different from the essays in this one involves the speaker reflection of a negative situation that turned into a positive one. I think this one is a memoir. The other memoirs were written about what Balakain and Hiestand experienced as children and how the situation resonated with them now as adults. Sadaris talks about his experience about his French class in France and his revelation occurred right in the moment and not years later.

1 comment:

  1. Good point -- memoirs, of course, don't have to deal with childhood situations. Sorry Martone's work pissed you off, but it is a reminder that we can experiment with structure. . .

    ReplyDelete