Thursday, June 2, 2011

Response to "Sea Oak"

This is by far the most bazaar story (long or short) I've ever read. I went through a series of emotions reading this one. At first I thought it was mainly going to be a story about a poor family trying to make ends meet in a rough, crime ridden neighborhood. I'm glad it wasn't because I it would have become bored with it rather quickly. I'm not sure if the author meant for the moment to be serious but I found myself slightly tickled with Aunt Bernie's death on the couch. I didn't find it funny that she died, just that Jade and Min took turns pinching and poking her to check and see. Who does that? I laughed really hard at the part during funeral discussions when the bottom of the casket read "fold Tab A into Slot B". Though it was meant to serve as a highlight for how poor the family was, I've never heard of a folded casket. Another emotion I felt reading this was fear. Yes, I will admit it. When it came to the part about Aunt Bernie's grave being robbed I was so tempted to stop reading even though I pushed through because it was an assigned reading. Something about the dead and cemeteries has never sat right with me. I think it has a lot to do with the fear I had of the Michael Jackson "Thriller" video as a child. Back to the story, I hoped the family would find Aunt Bernie but when the speaker came home and Aunt Bernie was sitting in the chair, I was fit to be tied. I thought someone had brought this old lady home and propped her up in the living room to torture the family, at least until she started talking. I found myself waiting for the story to turn out to be a dream.
Aside from the narrative of the story, I was shocked at the use of so many "four-letter curse words" (as my mom would say). Not that I'm a stranger to strong language, it was just interesting to see it in a book of short stories as well as be assigned to read it for a class. I did not think the language took away from the story, but added to it. My mom has to be SERIOUSLY upset to curse so I felt like the use of it in this story just served to show how desperate and fed up the family was even though the two sisters seem to curse for absolutely no reason at all. I may not remember the name of the story as "Sea Oak" but years down the road, I will remember the story about the old lady who "LIFE PASSED HER BY, DIED DISAPPOINTED,  [and] CAME BACK TO LIFE BUT FELL APART."
*Another note I'd like to make is that while the story is strange and bazaar to stand out in a persons memory, but I don't think the title is strong enough to be remembered. I had to open the book again just to know what to title the post. But, this is just my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment