Friday, May 27, 2011

Response to "Disenchanted"

I really like the comparison of discarded poetry to "haven't bloomed" flowers. What most people would have done is instantly used "dead" flowers. I think the use of premature blossoms just symbolized the fact the poems had not been giving the chance to take root. That was a very unique image. The ink remaining stubborn in the pen in another unique form of imagery. We have all experienced when a pen doesn't work consistently and it leaves dark and light splotches all over the page. I also thought it was interesting that Kiersten wrote about the "unmagic" of poetry.

I noticed the poem had no particular flow to it but that did not make it difficult to read. I thought the first stanzas imagery was very powerful. One thing I did not understand was the line "the dusk color of the frustrated sun slipping over the edge". I'm sure it is something that can be cleared up with mere explanation but after reading and rereading the poem I still don't understand what image is attempting to be painted with this line. Has the writer been attempting to write a poem all day and now the sun is setting? I think once this particular image is cleared up, this poem can be very powerful.

No comments:

Post a Comment