Friday, May 27, 2011

"Drowning in Ink"

The first stanza is very well done. To me it had the best flow of all. I thought it was interesting that Juliana treated the page as though it were being stabbed yet brought to life by the ink from the pen. Making the writer's tears smudge the words and created the image of the words drowning was very cleverly played. Very creative. 
I thought the shift from the writer's actions to the letter was done well. Stanza seven's crinkled paper description came across very well too. 

In the very last stanza the ink is described as a toxic enemy and taints the page yet, Juliana calls it "elegant black". I just wonder why she chose to change that image. I'm not suggesting that it be changed tho. I'm just curious. I'm also curious to know what "christens pulp" is. Is Christen the speaker of the poem? I guess the lack of capitalization there has me confused. 

No comments:

Post a Comment